World Bowls has a new Board and has relocated it’s headquarters from Scotland to Australia. Below are messages from the President and CEO, introducing themselves and giving an overview of what their objectives are.
Dear World Bowls’ Members and friends,
On behalf of the World Bowls Board and staff I would like to extend our best wishes for a happy and safe festive season and a successful 2023 as we look forward with great excitement and anticipation to the long-delayed World Championships in Australia.
As you know we have now appointed our new CEO, Neil Dalrymple. I am sure he is well known to many of you as the former Bowls Australia CEO and I know he is keen to make contact with as many of our members as soon as he can to establish working relationships which will help as we move forward with implementing the recommendations of our WB Review.
In that regard, one of the recommendations flowing from that Review was that the WB headquarters and Company be registered in Australia. In order to allow that to happen Australian Company Law requires that two Directors of the Company reside in Australia.
As I am the only Australian resident WB Director, we now need to appoint another Australian resident as a Director. Michael Catlow, who facilitated the employment process for our new CEO, has agreed to step into the role on an interim basis. Michael has many years of experience in all issues relating to national and international sporting organisation operations and governance and will be a valuable asset during his period of service.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge the many years of service from Gary Smith as the WB CEO. Of course, he will continue in his important new role as Chief Operating Officer and bring his knowledge and experience to the ongoing work of our organisation.
A message from the CEO
I am looking forward to working with the World Bowls Board, our members, our players and officials and the Bowls industry more broadly. To contact me directly, my details are as follows:
E: email@example.com M: +61 439350884
Some of my high-level objectives in the first 6 – 12 months will be to:
- Establish the Company and World Bowls HQ in Australia;
- Work closely with the WB Board in setting the strategy and key targets for the coming years;
- Update our strategic plan, branding and website;
- Grow the membership (Members Nations) globally;
- Grow the commercial revenue and create new commercial assets to improve World Bowls net financial position and with a view to invest back into the sport for global development;
- Communicate more frequently with all MNAs and create new connections between large MNAs and small MNAs;
- Update and utilize media and social media platforms to connect with current members and with new members, participants and fans;
- Continue the work of BOAG (Bowls in the Olympics Advisory Group) in targeting the 2032 Olympics and Paralympics for inclusion of Bowls;
- 2023 World Championship and 2026 Commonwealth Games preparation;
- Improve our Governance with a view to having a more unified voice for Bowls globally;
- Work closely with all key stakeholders across World Bowls.
I wish to formally acknowledge Gary Smith for his 21 years of service as the first Chief Executive of World Bowls. Gary has now moved into the position of Chief Operating Officer and is still based in Edinburgh, Scotland. In the new year, we will be closing down the World Bowls office in Edinburgh and Gary will commence working from a home office. His new email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the meantime, I would ask that you now direct all correspondence to World Bowls to my email address: email@example.com
I look forward to working with you all into the future and please don’t hesitate to contact me via email or if you wish have a Teams or Zoom conference soon.
All the best and I look forward to hearing from you soon and in the meantime, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!